Re: plastic dashboards

To: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bns.com.au>
Subject: Re: plastic dashboards
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:18:02 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Kris Cotton wrote:

> Hi
> Has anyone any ideas, when and which Heralds used the all plastic Dashboard
> have found in  948's & 1200's, I have been told that it was only available
> on 1200's but I have only found it on 948's.
> In the book the "Complete Guide To Triumph Herald & Vitesse" it does not
> even cover or mention the all plastic dash .
> Ps I do not mean the vinyl Pad/cover as on the wood grained dashes eg 13/60
> Tony

Tony, I'd meant to comment on that in a previous post of yours (either
to me or the list; I don't remember). I've never seen any "plastic"
dashes on Heralds. All the ones I've ever seen are, for lack of a better
description, pressed/molded fibreboard. At some point early on in the
1200 series, the padded vinyl top and surround was added, and walnut
veneer fascias have been an option from the very beginning of the 948
series. The wood seems to have become standard equipment beginning on
the 1200 series.

My experience is with North American specification Heralds, and what
i've been able to research about home market cars. Depending on exactly
what this "plastic" is, it might be something unique to the Australian
market?

Is it some sort of injection-molded plastic, or a "glass fibre"
construction, or what? Now I'm really curious!

--Andy