RE: Light Switches

To: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: RE: Light Switches
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:18:37 +0500 (EST)
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Ralph Jannelli wrote:

> Andy I have forwarded the message below in support of what I claim.
> I have looked at all the schematics I have for Spit MKII's all show the
> multi terminal pull switch except one. The schematic in TRF's Spitfire MKI
> II & III
> catalog shows the lighting the way you describe it, it is also the only one
> that shows the foot operated high beam switch so you may be right (who
> would doubt our fearless leader :-}).
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Flattery will get you nowhere. Now go get the moose and squirrel!

Oh, sorry, wrong fearless leader.

I'm glad TRF has the "correct" diagram; now I just wish they'd send me
that catalogue, which I'd requested some time ago!

> But I still believe that there were a
> mix of wiring imported into the States.

And I have no reason whatsoever to doubt that. As I said to someone
privately off the list yesterday, NEVER make a blanket statement about
Triumphs. Someone will find the one example that proves you wrong! It's
very likely that any number of early Spitfires found their way to this
country with "home-style" lighting/switching arrangements. Just another
reason why judging is so much fun.

I think the final determining factor here would be the dashboard switch.
If it has only one "stop" it was probably intended to be dashboard
lighting only. If it has a second position, it would have been both
master lighting AND instrument lighting.

> ... Remember that the wiring
> harness is the same for right and left hand drive cars with the gauges in
> the center the later cars with the gauges in front of the driver needed to
> have different harnesses.

Having once struggled with what turned out to be a RHD harness going
into a LHD Spitfire 1500, I know what you mean.

> I did not buy a new harness for my car I spent
> many hours repairing and re-taping mine.

Just for fun: what color was the wrap on the harness -- black or blue?

--Andy

* Andrew Mace, President (Fearless Leader)  *
* & 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *