Re: Engine oil weight - TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine oil weight - TR3
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 06:47:57 -0800
> using a multi-viscosity oil is superior to any straight weight. I would
> use either a 5w-30 or 5w-40. If you do decide to take it for a spin on
> one of those snow free days, the 5w will allow the engine to spin more
> freely.
While I agree with using the newer improved, multi-grade oils, I disagree
with the choice of weights.  Remember when theese cars were built.  The only
oil available was of the single grade variety.  The clearances built into
these engines were such as to accommodate these oils.  Newer engines are
built and designed with much tighter/closer tolerances which take advantge
of these new and better oils as well as thinner grades.  If you use the
thinner multi-grade oils, you will not have the proper oil pressure your
engine was designed for.  There is nothing wrong with a good grade of single
weight, but if you want to use the "better" multi-weight I would recommend a
minimum 20w-50.   5w is much too thin - and I think you'll find in your
owners manual the viscosity for your car at whatever temp.  Use a
multi-grade that falls within these ranges.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+