Re: Engine oil weight - TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine oil weight - TR3
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:14:05 -0500
Barry Schwartz wrote :

[snip]
 >engine was designed for.  There is nothing wrong with a good grade of single
 >weight, but if you want to use the "better" multi-weight I would recommend a
 >minimum 20w-50.   5w is much too thin - and I think you'll find in your
 >owners manual the viscosity for your car at whatever temp.  Use a
 >multi-grade that falls within these ranges.
 >
 >Barry Schwartz
 >Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
 >Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
 >(San Diego)
 >70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
 >70'GT6+

..and I just want to second his opinion.  FWIW at a couple of car shows
this past summer, I noticed that every LBC that had a spare quart of oil
in plain view ( and that was a substantial number !) seemed to have the
same stuff - Castrol 20w50.  That's what I ran in a TR-250 for the 8 yrs
I had it, and it still has great pressure at 77K miles.  Also ran the
same in the '69 TR-6 R, single-carb - same good results.

BTW my commuter car, an '84 AMC / Renault, has a wet-sleeve push-rod
engine, with aluminum head, which has run 20w50 (Valvoline) for over
125K miles, and is the oil-tightest engine I've ever seen -- I can go
5K miles between oil/filter changes, and not be down a Pint !  For the
winter, I switch to 10w30 or 10w40 for easier starting.  This engine is
similar in many ways to the TR-3 engine, but smaller (1400 cc).

Hope this is useful,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio