Re: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:32:12 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Nicholas <c.nick@ix.netcom.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Michael Burdick wrote:

> I'm sure someone (Andy?) will correct me if I'm wrong here, but the I
> think the same upper crash pad was used up through the Mk3.  I have been
> looking through my Brooklands Gold Portfolio and it looks like the same
> pad to me.

I think you're right, with the possible exception of the "Federal" 1960
and 1970 Mk.3s. There might be some difference in graining, as, for
example, the HardlyBoys RaceSpit4 has its original top pad, and it
appears to have a much coarser graining than I recall seeing on other
early Spitfires.

Rimmer Bros. does list this part, but I've not seen it so I can't tell
you what the graining is like.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *