Re: 69 MkIII Problems

To: "Tony Zappa" <tzappa@aztec.co.za>
Subject: Re: 69 MkIII Problems
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 10:43:20 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I am very new to Spitfires, but took the plunge and bought a 69
>MkIII.  It generally runs fine, but I have a couple problems I don't
>know how to solve:
>
>1.  The car overheats something awful.  The gauge gets to 260 after a
>few minutes of idling and stays there.  I've changed the thermostat,
>flushed the radiator, changed the water pump, and changed the hoses,
>but no luck.  Short of changing the gauge (could be faulty?) any
>suggestions?

Try the voltage regulator under the dash if you have one. Does you fuel
guage always read high, as well? That's a pretty good sign. (Still gotta
change my regulator)

>2.  The car idles fine and acheives low speeds without any problems.
>However, I can't seem to get enough power to get over 40 mph.  I
>don't know anything about carbourators; is it time to invest in a
>good book?

Definatly. Get all the books you can. What kind of carbs do you have? When
were they last rebuilt? When were they even tuned last?

Hope this helps!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."