Re: 69 MkIII Problems

To: "J. Stovall" <jstovall@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 69 MkIII Problems
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:36:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Tony Zappa <tzappa@aztec.co.za>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, J. Stovall replied to Tony:

> >69 MkIII [Spitfire].... The car overheats something awful...
> >I've changed the thermostat,
> >flushed the radiator, changed the water pump, and changed the hoses,
>
> Try the voltage regulator under the dash if you have one. Does you fuel
> guage always read high, as well? That's a pretty good sign. (Still gotta
> change my regulator)

Just so that no one is confused, what you're referring to is the voltage
STABILISER, which supplies the instruments with =+/- 10 volts. Not to be
confused with the voltage regulator or control box, which takes care of
generator output.

> >2.  The car idles fine and acheives low speeds without any problems.
> >However, I can't seem to get enough power to get over 40 mph....

> Definatly. Get all the books you can. What kind of carbs do you have? When
> were they last rebuilt? When were they even tuned last?

Tony, by all means get hold of a good workshop manual. But before you
mess with the carburetor(s) (Remember, author Dick O'Kane describes
carburetor as a French word meaning 'leave it alone'; that's not totally
facetious advice), determine that the ignition is system is as good as it
can be and that timing is correct or darn close. Also make sure you have
acceptable compression in all four cylinders and that valve clearances
are properly set.

Then, make sure there are no obstructions in the fuel system that prevent
fuel from getting to the carburetor(s) adequately. This could be a
clogged fuel filter or a tired fuel pump or even partially blocked lines.

Then, make sure the carburetor(s) is (are) clean and all parts of same
move freely. (Pistons move up and down with no sticking, linkages are
free, chokes are not stuck, etc.) Also make sure that there are no vacuum
leaks anywhere, from bad manifold gaskets, improperly connected or
disconnected crankcase vents, overly worn throttle linkages, etc. Then,
and ONLY then, do you want to consider possible problems with the
carburetors beyond what I've just described.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *