Re: 69 MkIII Problems

To: "J. Stovall" <jstovall@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 69 MkIII Problems
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:39:57 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Tony Zappa <tzappa@aztec.co.za>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, J. Stovall wrote:

> >I am very new to Spitfires, but took the plunge and bought a 69
> >MkIII.  It generally runs fine, but I have a couple problems I don't
> >know how to solve:
> >
> >1.  The car overheats something awful.  The gauge gets to 260 after a
> >few minutes of idling and stays there.  I've changed the thermostat,
> >flushed the radiator, changed the water pump, and changed the hoses,
> >but no luck.  Short of changing the gauge (could be faulty?) any
> >suggestions?

Sorry, I hit send too soon. I meant also to add that you should make sure
the BLOCK has been flushed as well. A clean, free-flowing radiator won't
help much if coolant doesn't circulate welll throughout the engine. Try
probing with a stiff wire in the hole for the engine drain plug (RHS of
block near the back). You'd be amazed at the mud, silt, rust and other
gunk that can accumulate in there, and the difference that getting the
block really clean can make. It might not hurt to make sure the outside
of the block is not too encrusted with oily dirt as well.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *