Re: TR6 Dashboard

To: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Dashboard
From: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 23:08:57 -0700
Todd,
Len Renkenberger, who used to write a very good tech tip column for 6-Pack,
recommends a product called Fabulon to refinish TR6 dashes.  I've no
experience with it, but Len claimed that, because it is alcohol-based, it
dries very quickly to a hard finish and, unlike eurethane, allows quick
recoat times.  It apparently dries clear and does not colour the wood.  I
don't know where you would find it, but Len says that it is used as a
finish for bowling lanes, so that may be a place to start.
BTW, another recommendation Len made when reinstalling your dash was to
swap the positions of your fuel and oil gauges.  As the cars were designed
for right hand drive, the oil gauge is obscured in its normal location on
left handers by the steering wheel.  As oil pressure is the more vital to
keep an eye on, the change made sense to me.  I did this a few years back
when I had my dash apart and also recommend it - unless you're an absolute
purist.  Just be careful about checking the oil line routing behind the
dash and it should just be long enough to reach.  There may or not still be
a twist tie holding the oil line to the speedometer cable that you may have
to remove.
Rod.  '70 TR6  CC55899L