Re: TR6 Dashboard

To: "Mark R. Anderton" <andertonm@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Dashboard
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 07:52:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mark R. Anderton wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 07:49:03 -0800 scott suhring
> <suhring@lancnews.infi.net> writes:
> >Todd W. Sigety wrote:
> >>
> >> As a winter project I am refinishing the dashboard of my 1970 TR6.
> >> have removed the dash from the car.  The old veneer and glue is off,
> >and
> >> the board has been sanded in prep of the new veneer.  I have ordered
> >> what I hope is a quality walnut veneer to glue to the prepared
> >> dashboard.  I am looking for advice on how to finish the veneer once
> >it
> >> is glued to the board.  The original finish on the TR6's was
> >non-gloss
> >> or matte.  Any suggestions on the use of varnish or polyurethane and
> >> how to apply to the veneer would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> todd sigety
> >> 1970 TR6
> >

> One thing that has been driven home for me by the various threads on this
> topic is the need for UV inhibitors in whatever you choose to use to
> refinish your dash.  I doubt that most furniture finishes have this
> capability.
>
> Mark Anderton
>
> 1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
> 1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
> 1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
> 1971 Land Rover
> 1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
> 1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)

Mark:

Point well taken. This could be a problem with using standard (furniture)
varnish (although I have refinished many pieces which sit in direct sunlight,
in the house, and have shown no ill effects from UV rays, similar to which you
will see on upholstry which fades when sitting in direct sun light in a home).
The polyurethan specific to outdoor (boating) use might be better, as long as
it comes in a satin or mat finish (high gloss just wouldn't look right).
The finishing process I recommended would stilll be applicable to getting
a good finish.

Thanks for the UV comment.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA