Re: TR6 Dashboard

To: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Dashboard
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 07:49:03 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Todd W. Sigety wrote:

> As a winter project I am refinishing the dashboard of my 1970 TR6.  I
> have removed the dash from the car.  The old veneer and glue is off, and
> the board has been sanded in prep of the new veneer.  I have ordered
> what I hope is a quality walnut veneer to glue to the prepared
> dashboard.  I am looking for advice on how to finish the veneer once it
> is glued to the board.  The original finish on the TR6's was non-gloss
> or matte.  Any suggestions on the use of varnish or polyurethane and
> how to apply to the veneer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> todd sigety
> 1970 TR6

Todd:

In refinishing furniture, I have always used (when I have the choice)
Parks (or any other reputable brand) Satin Varnish. This will give you
a strong finish that is not glossy looking. Put on at least four coats,
lightly sanding with 400 grit between coats, using a tack cloth after
sanding to remove all particles. I prefer using a sponge brush to
apply varnish. You won't get the lines that a bristle brush can leave.
One item I should have mentioned, if the veneer is untreated, you
may want to start with a varnish based sealer. This sets the wood up
nice for the satin varnish and seals all poors. When done with all coats
of varnish, last step is to rub out all imperfections. To do this, use either
600 grit sand paper, pumas stone, or the finest steel wool you can buy. Use
some form of lubricant, I use lindseed oil, and lightly rub with grain. This
will give you a glass like "touch" to the finish.

Good luck!

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6