Re: TR6 Differential Overhaul

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Differential Overhaul
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 07:49:37 -0800
< snip >
>WRONG!!  Seems he lacks the "special tools" needed to
>determine the float/backlash.
I'd be suspicious of any mechanic who told me he needs "special tools to
measure end float/backlash/preload.  All one needs is a dial indicator and a
little basic math.  I think maybe he didn't want to do it.  It's too bad you
already took it apart, as getting the correct mesh will be diffucult at
best.  Had it still been together (original bearings etc.) one can simply
paint the teeth with white oil paint to get the old mesh pattern, then
duplicate it when reassembling.  Now you will have to use the best guess
"used gear pattern", which usually works but is not ideal-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+