re:Synthetic Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Synthetic Oil
From: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 97 17:30:17 PST
Hi folks-

All of the below aside, good lube, easy start, cleanliness and all, but I also
understand that synthetic oil (SO) shrinks seals.  A common problem that
becomes costly evident with RX7 owners that use SO after a period of time.
Even though I still use it in both LBCs cars, does any one have any solid
insight into this?

Thanks.
Pouya

----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

>On Jan 6,  7:55pm, JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:
>> As long as it is the correct weight it is all pretty much just
>> marketing (as far as any difference goes)
>>
>> I can't sight the source, but a recent article went to great lengths
>> to point out this fact.
>
>That would probably be the article in Consumer Reports - the magazine
>for the lowest common denominator...
>
>later,
>
>John Lye
>
>rjl6n@virginia.EDU
>http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm

Based on experience- there is value-- ease of starting, decreased wear,
decreased friction?,  Should be good for turbos-doesnt coke at higher
temps than mineral oil

Based on lower viscosity @ lo T & higher viscosity @ hi T, with less
breakdown--
should be better for extreme conditions--desert & artic as well as racing

worth the extra cost?
-- your call--  i think so

doc