Re: synthetic oil

To: NPenney@concentric.net
Subject: Re: synthetic oil
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:20:44 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Nolan

My rely is not meant to be obnoxious.  You have a good point about the
wet engines.  Synthetics clean really well.  They will dislodge "stuff'
which may be sealing up an engine.  I have had some similar but mostly
different experiences.  I like them for several reasons; I could never
keep up wiht 3,000 miles changes and I can extend the interval safely.  I
have over 15 years experience with that.  The do have better viscosity
properties and therefore work better at the extremes of temperature.   My
TR3 is new to me and I don't know how it will respond to sythetics.

>But without fail, I have never seen an engine with synthetic oil that
wasn't wet on the outside.

Come on by and see my SAAB; 119,000 "Dry" engine miles.  The Cavalier
leaks a little, but it did on mineral oil, when I got it,  My Norton is
dry, but that took three years of hard work.  Lawn mower is dry, chain
saw is really hard to tell where it all comes from, but that is a two
stroke.

My Honda motorcycle was a little like your CRX-Si, somewhat erratic top
off intervals, but not nearly as dramatic.

As I state in my earlier letters, oil burners/ leakers were not good
candidates as the high cleaning action opened up any marginal areas.  The
best engines for synthetics are tight or freshly rebuilt.

>I lost a cylinder on a motorcycle in western Maryland, rode home
>anyways
>(without removing the spark plug) which was a couple of hundred miles,
>
>and filled the crankcase up with gasoline.  By filled, I mean about
>two
>gallons.  No damage to the engine was found upon tearing it down.

That is great.  I used to get excited about the teflon additives which
proclaimed they could protect an engine without oil, until I started
reading stories like yours and realized just how durable engines really
can be.

>I haven't met the oil yet that wouldn't  sludge and carbon without oil
changes.

You should meet Mobil 1.  I use a one year (12-15,000 mile) interval and
have since 1981.  No gum, varnish or sludge in my vehicles.  I used to
use TufOil but not for the past four years.

To each his own;  I love the stuff

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1988 SAAB 9000S 119,000 dry miles, ZERO oil consumption, yes zero
in 12,000 miles
1989 Chevy Cavalier  86,000 slightly wet miles, 1 qt/ 5,000 miles, same
as on mineral oil
1985 Toyota Corolla,  194,000 slightly wet miles , Now deceased (sold),
1 qt/ 2,000 miles
1980 Buick Regal, 165,000 dry miles, Trashed in a crash,  1 qt/6,000
miles