Re: Synthetic oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil
From: Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:26:22 -0500 (EST)
At 07:57 AM 1/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Martin,
>
>I orginally switched to synthetic back in 1981 expressly for the cold
>weather benefits, later learning about extended oil change intervals, higher
>flash points, lower ash content and better viscosity stability at all
>temperatures.
>
>I put 5W-30 oil, Mobil 1 synthetic and regular oil, I believe Castrol, in
>jars in a zero degree freezer. The difference in flow charicteristics at
>this temperature were incredible.  The mobil 1 flowed like room temperature
>honey, the regular oil barely budged during the first minute.
>
>The car I used it in was a 1980 Buick Regal witha V-8 engine.  It started,
>albeit slowly, at temperatures below -40 degrees F or C, they are the same
>there. The thermometer was pegged.  I had opened the radiator cap first to
>make sure I was not frozen up.  There was ice in the filler neck of the
>radiator, so I inserted a stick to make sure it was not frozen solid.  The
>stick came out coated, fairly thickly, with ice.  It was cold.
>
>For cold weather synthetics cannot be beat.  There are lots of other
>advantages, but that is another thread.  See the SOL pages on the web for
>some synthetic vs. regular oil discussions.
>
>Jack Brooks
>1960 TR3-A
>JIBrooks@Juno.com - Please use this E-Mail address

I agree totally with Jack. Many years ago I owned a Mustang with a 351
Cleveland HO engine and a tiny battery. At 0F forget it! The engine would
hardly turn over on regular oil. I switched to Mobil 1 5w-20 and THAT SUCKER
SPUN LIKE A WARM SUMMERS DAY.> Also Mobil used to say you could go 25,000
miles between changes, but I noticed they dropped that, guess they weren't
selling enough oil.