Re: Camber Comphensator? for Mk 2 spit

To: Eric Straub <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Re: Camber Comphensator? for Mk 2 spit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:14:12 +0500 (EST)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Eric Straub wrote:

> I've heard some mention of modifications to the rear suspension for the Mk
> 2 spit to address a tendency to tuck in tight corners. I'm almost done
> installing the new front suspension onto the chassis of my 67 mk 2 spit &
> the rear suspension is next. I've got a new leaf spring, shocks, &
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> bushings.  Does anyone know where to get a kit, or other ideas on how I
> should modify the suspension? I've heard that the problem was fixed in
> later spits (mk 3?).  Any details would be appreciated!

Too bad you've already sprung for the new leaf spring. If you're really
concerned about this (and the problem has been much exaggerated over the
years), see if you can't return the new leaf spring, and/or exchange it
for the "swing-spring" as used on 1971 (Mk.IV) and later Spitfires. This
will bolt in and requires only that you plug the two center stud holes on
the top of the differential (you can use an existing stud, sawn-off flush
and perhaps slotted for later removal if needed).

Pair this up with the fatter front sway bar from the later cars, and
you're in business. (The fatter bar is necessary to add back some roll
stiffness and counteract the oversteering tendency you'd get with the
new spring alone.)

Camber compensators are nice, and they're effective, but they're
difficult if not impossible to find nowadays, and they're most effective
with a spring that has been dearched somewhat (can't give you exact
specs on that).

--Andy