Re: Spitfire front suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire front suspension
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 14:20:00 -0500
Hi John, you asked :

[snip]

 >3. During removal of the tie rod ends the rubber dust seals were damaged.
 >Does anyone know of a source for these seals? Is there a tool that can be
 >used to remove the tie rod ends without damaging the seals?

I'd guess you used the trusty old `pickle fork' tie rod end separator and
IMHO that should be reserved for tie rod ends that are known bad, and
being removed for replacement & scrapping, not re-installation.  Any tool
rental place should have a `Pitman arm puller' which is a very hefty
two-jaw puller, using a push-off bolt against the tapered pin.

Before breaking loose the tapered pin, and even before breaking loose
the locking nut, I suggest wire-brushing any rust / crud from the threads.
Then back off the lock nut completely, to clean up any thread problem
spots, and make sure you can get it off while the tapered pin is held
fast in its taper in the steering arm.  Then replace the nut and thread
it back onto the pin until it's just flush with the bottom end of it.
In case the push-off bolt slips, this might save your threads.

You might get the puller in place, cranked down quite hard, and still
not un-seat the taper; if so, you can now (finally !) grab that big
hammer, and strike the side of the steering arm `eye' opposite the
arm itself, that is, strike it as if trying to make the hole go ob-
round.  I don't know, maybe the hole really does go minutely ob-round
for just a moment, any way, that should do it, and save your boot, too.

This tapered pin should be clean and dry upon re-assembly, a modest
tap with a soft hammer might be needed to get it to seat well enough
so that you can thread the nut down again.  IMS the manuals call for
a new Nylock nut, and give sustantial torque specs., 55-60 ft-lbs.

 >In addition, I would appreciate any tips and advice on reassembly of the
 >components.
 >
 >Thanks in advance
 >John Reynolds
 >79 Spitfire

Hope this helps.
Ooops, the torque spec I just quoted for the tie rod end is from the
Haynes TR-6 manual, your Spitfire may well be different !!

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 Trident 750cc (basket case)