Spitfire Front Suspension

To: FraxStar@aol.com
Subject: Spitfire Front Suspension
From: crl@iafrica.com (C.R.LEAH)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 97 12:20:59 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John
Make sure you rent or buy a decent coil spring compressor that preferably has a
plate at each end so that the tool cannot slip when you have the spring
compressed. When I did the suspension on my Mk2, I bought a compressor that was
in effect two lengths of studding with cast hook arrangements on each end of
the studding. Not recommended, particularly for the faint hearted. I reckon I
would have outjumped Carl Lewis from standing jump when the one hook slipped
out of the coil at full compression and the spring ricocheted round the
workshop. After that episode, I got them done with a proper compressor.
FWIW
Chris Leah, Durban, South Africa
'66 Spitfire Mk2