Re: paint for TR6 wheels

To: abrunetti@edgenet.net, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: paint for TR6 wheels
From: KMNTR6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:51:28 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 1/29/97 1:55:05 PM, abrunetti@edgenet.net (abrunetti)
wrote:

>List,
>
>I am new to this list.  I have heard through friends that there recently
>was some disscussion regarding a close match for the paint found on wheels
>of the TR6.

Tony

I wrote this piece last August for The Spokes, the newsletter for the
Richmond Triumph Register. I hope it helps you.

Ken Nachman
Richmond Triumph Register
1957 TR3
1974 TR6

SILVER PAINT
     British silver, Moss Silver,Warm Silver from Eastwood. There are many
names for it. It usually comes in spray cans and it is the product most used
for wheels, valve covers, and air cleaners on many Triumphs and other British
cars.
     Recently I have become intimately involved with several different types
of silver paint. After and during the rebuild of my TR6's engine I have been
"sprucing up" many of the parts that Dean didn't need for the rebuild. I
don't think many things have given me as much trouble as the Silver Paint.
     I began with almost full can of Moss Silver that I had on my workbench
for the last several years. After I had prepped each piece for painting, all
could get from this one sorry can was a "pssst" and then nothing. I shook it,
and shook, and I shook. Still nothing. So I ordered a can of the Eastwood
Warm Silver. Since it was just $6.99 a can or two for $6.50 each. When I
sprayed the paint came out of the can with a gritty substance. Nothing looked
right. I cleaned, sanded, and tried again. Same result. Terrible. Finally I
got a halfway reasonable look, put the valve cover on, and laid my florescent
trouble light on top. I was shocked when the paint melted a small spot on my
 otherwise smooth surface! I decided that I would repaint after the rebuild.
Later I drove the car and the engine warmed up, the smooth silver paint
(except for the melted spot) turned into what looked like crinkle paint! So I
took off the valve cover, got out the Kutzit and stripped all of the paint.
     I decided to put my quest on the internet and I got some interesting
answers. Some of the solutions that I got were to use:
*silver imron
*Duplicolor (# T-229) a perfect match for the original "Hammered Silver" on
LBC wire wheels
* Duplicolor  (# FM-149) a 2oz size only
*DITZ    (# DAR 2593)
*British Wire Wheel has a paint called "concours" finish, which is much
glossier than the "warm" paint
*Ford uses paint on their wheels called "hammered aluminum" (# D7AZ-19000-A)
*Plasticote, but may soften existing paint (#1587)
*TRF has their version (# TRFC107)
*BMW has a correct shade.
*"Ferguson Grey" at the local NAPA store
*Boeing does not buy silver paint, but actually makes it themselves. - take
copious ammounts of fine aluminum filings and mix them with clear lacquer.
     Thanks to Mike Meyer, Jon Moody, Chad Jester, Dick Dell, Roland Dudley,
JoeSimcoe, Roger Garnett, Steve Flatt, Chris Ball, John Lye, and David Emory
for their suggestions.
     What did I do?  I bought a new can of the Moss Silver (#220-560)  for
11.99 plus 4.70 shipping (ouch!) and the new can worked very well.

                                Ken Nachman