Importing Cars

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Importing Cars
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 21:37:35 -0700
Cc: boshea@Adobe.COM
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:22:59 -0700
From: "Brendan O'Shea" <boshea@Adobe.COM>
Subject: '73 TR6: US vs. Canada spec?

Hi,
        I've been lurking on the list for a few weeks now, while
shopping
for a TR. This past weekend I finally bought a 1973 TR6. In order to get
it licensed, I need a piece of paper from US Customs saying it was legal
to import it from Canada. Before the customs man will give that to me,
he
wants an official, written statement saying that it meets the 1973 US
safety standards. I'm going through the official channels to (hopefully)
get this, but am wondering :
        1) Has anyone else successfully done this?
        2) Does anyone knows what (if anything) was different in the US
&
Canadian TR6s in 1973? (with respect to safety)
        3) Does the certificate from the 'British Motor Industry
Heritage
Trust Fund' (mentioned a few times in the past weeks) give sufficient
detail to determine safety features?
        4) Does anyone know of any way to expedite this? Unofficial
channels? Back-doors? Who to bribe? (just kidding, Mr.customs man)

        Any help is appreciated, thanks,

 -Brendan O'Shea
 1973 TR6 (driving up & down the driveway is fun, but...)

Brendan,

I imported a car from Canada in 1995.  I am unclear on your post--do you
have the car here in the U.S.A. and your state won't license it?  I got
this run around when trying to bring into the U.S.A.  You'll never get
any offical letter stating it is legal, as only the manufacturer can do
this.  I tried explaing to the customs people that the manufacturer went
out of business and it just didn't register with them.

Anyway the emissions sticker on the left front inner fender should state
it meets those requirements and the commission plate should state it
meets DOT requirements.  After burning up the phone lines trying to
figure out how to bring it in, the customs agent looked at the sticker
and plate and that was all he need to see.

Post me back and maybe I can help some

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe--imported from Canada