Re: tranny question

To: "Gano, Ken" <kengano@advant.com>, "Triumphs mail list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: tranny question
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:49:35 -0700

----------
> From: Gano, Ken <kengano@advant.com>
> To: Triumphs mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: tranny question
> Date: Wednesday, August 06, 1997 9:36 PM
>
>       With the tranny completely disassembled, on the bench, I've run into a
> problem for the collective wisdom.
>
>       How do you get the gears that run inside of other gears, (there are two
on
> mine) together?  I understand the little balls and springs, but can't
> figure out how to push from four directions simultaneously.  Does this
> require a special tools or am I missing the obvious.

Not really any major trick...Lay the outer part on the bench, slide the
inner gear in just far enough so that you can install all the springs and
balls (yes, they are going to be sticking out way too far at this point),
apply a little downward pressure on the inner section and push any one ball
into its hole with a screwdriver. At this point, the inner section can be
"rocked" over just far enough to hold that ball in place. Repeat this on
the other balls and it will all "fall" into place when the last ball is
inserted.
Now for the caveats...do this inside of a cardboard box as the balls can
find the most elusive corner of any garage if discharged from the partially
assembled unit.

>       On the subject, I am missing the triangular washer retaining the main
> bearing.  I'm not sure whether mine never had one, or if it's lost in the
> jungle, but after two days of looking, I'm still stuck with a basket of
> parts without it.  If anyone has that piece, I'd be thrilled to pay a
fair
> price for it.  I'll be off list for five days (Summer Party), but will
try
> to respond shortly thereafter.  Thanks

Triangular washer????? Are you talking about the splined washer at the back
of the case between first gear and the rear bearing in the case? Early cars
had this machined washer that fit onto the splines on the shaft. It tended
to crack/break easily, so the later cars were equipped with a simple round
washer that went over the splines.
                    Are you looking at an old factory manual ? The red one
?
                                     Could be your problem.
Looking at your comm number, I would guess that your car is much too late
to have this triangular washer in it. Has your box been changed ? If your
gearbox really should
have this washer, it probably also has a bronze bushing between the
mainshafts. If it has a bearing at this juncture, it probably does not have
the triangular washer in it either.

I seem to have lost more than washers myself lately...
          Nick in Nor Cal