Re: Thrust Washers

To: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 09:14:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James H. Davis, Jr. wrote:

> Carol,
> I've pulled a couple of TR6 engines in my garage using an engine hoist
> from a local rental place. This rental place will count one day's rental
> for picking up the hoist on Sat. afternoon and returning it on Monday.
> The cost is $35.00. It has taken me about 4 hrs. to remove the engine, as
> I'm a novice mechanic.

Jim, did you have help? With beer, (to be consumer after the engine is
out) I can get some guys to help me out...I'm strong, but I'm not Xena,
Warrior Princess !!

Unfortunately replacing it has taken 2.5 yrs. in
> the first case and is yet to be attempted in the second after a year and
> a half. I'm the poster child for Shipwrights Disease, and both times a
> total restoration started with a $35 rental, so be very careful! Open
> heart surgery may be less expensive than a bad case of this all-consuming
> disease.

I think Tom's advice to pick up SIx Tech is a good start, and to read up
on changing the thrust washers via the oil pan may be the way I start.
A rebuild is not in this year's budget !!

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how I do !

Carol