Re: In defense of ZS carbs

To: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Subject: Re: In defense of ZS carbs
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:21:33 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> If you understand the principle of a carburetor, then look at the
> description of a constant-depression carb such as the ZS and SU, you will
> conclude, as I did, that they are ingenious devices indeed. The fact that
> they became corrupted by Federal emission requirements is entirely another
> matter. One could also look at what happened to the carbs fitted to
> domestic and Japanese cars and find the same corruption. I can't recall how
> many people have looked at my car and asked "Have any trouble with the
> carbs?". My answer is always "Nope, not a bit.".
>
> Phil Barnes
> Cortland, NY (nowhere near New York City)
> peb3@cornell.edu
> '71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)

Phil - I agree that the basic design is OK...and I already told Odd
Hedberg that most of the problems were caused by Fed emissions
requirements...but that was getting in to a political argument again.
And I can report that I personally haven't had ANY problems with my
ZS, SU's or even my AMAL 932's on my Norton (and the durn thing came
with a Mikuni, which I promptly trashed because it only came with
one of 'em)-- but

A. -- whoever let the design pass where a brass throttle shaft rides
directly in a pot metal body with no lubrication or seals obviously
failed materials science 101... I have repaired this defect on ALL of
the above mentioned carbs. (Except for the AMAL's where I had
Stainless sleeves intalled)

B. Webers are better. Ball bearings and seals on throttle shafts.
Pump type acceleration enrichment....but can't afford 'em... :>)
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press
Tel:609 258 4900