Re: In defense of ZS carbs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: In defense of ZS carbs
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 12:24:27 -0700
Philip B. writes:
>If you understand the principle of a carburetor, then look at the
>description of a constant-depression carb such as the ZS and SU, you will
>conclude, as I did, that they are ingenious devices indeed.
    <  snip  >
*************************
And terribly simple.   I agree with all the above although there is one
inherent design flaw.  It has to do with the jet/needle and the way it
operates.  With a needle sliding inside a jet you WILL get wear.  No matter
how carefully you centralize the jet, with vibration and use eventually the
jet orif1ce wears ever slightly larger, whilst the needle wears ever
slightly smaller, necessitating eventual jet/needle replacement.  This
condition is aggravated even more on fixed jet, biased needle emission
carbs (and jet replacement is not an option on these carbs requiring
eventual carb replacement).  With a fixed orifice replaceable screw in type
jet found on almost every other carb this is not an issue - only option to
get the GT6, the car I drive maybe three or four times a month, to pass our
st**id smog test was to REPLACE the carbs. (expensive, are you listening
CARB, we NEED SB42!)

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )