Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Subject: Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE
From: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 16:06:27 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I'd add that I'd pull the plugs before starting, let the starter turn the
engine until I had good oil pressure, replace plugs, then fire it up. I
also keep a fire extinguisher handy in the work shop!

At 12:57 PM 8/8/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Bob Paul wrote:
>       > I am preparing to bring the engine of TS71101L to life.  It was
>rebuilt
>       > the PO in 1991 or 92 and has not yet ever been started.
>
>Following on from the thread yesterday on synthetic oil,
>this is what I have done in the past:
>
>1) check static timing
>2) fill with 15/40 oil (not synthetic), and use water in the radiator
>3) loosen distributor bolts, as if you were about to
>   time it
>4) check that engine is in a condition to run (ie as if you
>   were about to go for a drive, check there are no loose tools,
>   bolts are tight, fluid OK, etc).
>5) set up a fan in front of the radiator and switch it on
>6) crank the engine without starting it to make sure there are
>   no terminal leaks
>7) start the car, run it up to 1500 rpm
>8) make sure you have oil pressure
>9) once started, DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE FOR 20 MINUTES!  This
>   is the most crucial time in an engines life, and it is important
>   to that this first running period be done correctly.  Do not
>   idle the engine!
>10) if the engine runs hot (and it may due to the new components)
>   switch on the fan at the front of the car.  It may be wise to
>   do this early in the morning, especially if you live in a
>   warm cimate.
>11) if the car needs water, give it water.  If it leaks, dont
>   worry about it - dont shut the engine off.
>12) while the car is running, you can time it.
>
>After 20 minutes, then you can switch off.  Replace oil with 15/50,
>fill with coolant, drive it for 500 miles trying not to rev the engine
>too hard or lug it.  Vary the engine speed.  After 500 miles, change
>to 15/50 synthetic.  You may need to adjust the idle during this time
>because as the engine frees up, your idle will rise.  Also during this
>time check the coolant regularly to release any air.
>
>Did I miss anything Scions?
>
>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

Doug Mathews
Weekdays Voice: 706-542-6820 FAX: 706-542-6881
64TR4  TC38798L(in restoration)
63TR3B TCF1520L(Driver)
59TR3A TS6140L(Parts creature)
57TR3  TS18791LO(Parts creature)