Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE

To: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Subject: Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:28:23 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    >> 9) once started, DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE FOR 20 MINUTES!
    >> This is the most crucial time in an engines life, and
    >> it is important to that this first running period be
    >> done correctly.  Do not idle the engine!

    Jeff>         Not trying to be critical, but why 20
    Jeff> minutes? What happens in this timeframe that doesn't
    Jeff> happen in 5 minutes or 2 hours?

The engine warms completely (more or less) and all of the
rotating mass gets a chance to become dimesionally friendly
with its nearest neighbor while hot.  20 minutes is kinda a
generalization, but it's the number most folks seem to
recommend.  One thing, be wary of gas and oil leaks.  You
don't want a fire to start while you're trying to pay
attention to other things.  Don't do this alone unless you
have to.  Have a fire extinguisher handy.  Ask me how I know.

                                                        -MM