Re: Utah smog laws?

To: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Utah smog laws?
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:12:24 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill:

    I just took my TR8 in for inspection and passed despite running way
rich (the car was most recently tuned in Chicago :) ) and having decidedly
non-original K&R air filters in place (the PO was sadly unable to provide
the originals)  Sometimes its nice to drive a car that few mechanics have
even heard of, much less seen.  :)  I will mail you the state's
requirements later.  Inspections here are done at gas stations etc, not at
state-run facilities.  I've been given the impression that as long as you
have a cat and pass the reading part of the test, you'll pass the visual
part.  You probably won't get cut any slack on the safety portion though.

My favorite nighttime drive is up Emigration Canyon, only about a
half-hour trip, but a nice twisty ride up the mountains.  At the top, you
can either cut over to I-80 and get back to SLC in about 10 min or you can
continue up through East Canyon which will take you to a nice little
parking area with one of the best views of the valley (at that elevation,
though, bring a *warm* coat) and meanders on for quite a while longer.
Unless you know that road, though, obey the speed limits :)  Not that
there are speed traps, but the road has this tendency to disappear from
under your wheels.

Another nice drive is along Wasatch Blvd which takes you along the edge of
the valley and provides a nice long view of the city.

Then there are all sorts of roads up in the mountains a bit further from
the city, and the Bonneville flats are only an hour and a half away... :)

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, bill nichol wrote:

> Soon to be fellow Utah LBC owners,
>       What is the state going to demand of my '78 Spit. It is currently
> equipted w/ a Weber DGV carb,Header and Monza exhaust. This system seems
> more efficient than the orginal. Will the addition of a catalytic
> converter and a good tune up (rejetting the Weber for alttiude) get me
> through?  Should I get the converter installed before I get there or
> wait until I have to get her inspected?
>       What are some of the good evening drives around SLC
>
> Bill
> 78 Spit
> 80Wedge  under going colonial conversion(on hold)

-jason

Jason Clark
gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity.
But I know none, and therefore am no beast.

Shakespeare, _Richard III_