Re: TR3 Winshield removal

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Winshield removal
From: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:11:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Assuming you still have the Dzu fasteners, and I've seen at least one TR3
where they had removed them and used chrome bolts(UGLY!), I do not have my
manual here( or my mind either!), but I'd start with  penetrating oil from
the outside, making sure I wiped it off the paint. Once it sat there for a
while, take the large screwdriver, place it in the slot, and rap it smartly
with a hammer, then add some more penetrating oil, and wait a while.
Without my book or my vehicles, this is all I can say at this point. If the
thread is still ongoing later, I'll look at one of my parts cars and maybe
I can give you a better idea.

At 11:02 AM 8/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>     Can someone suggest a way to remove those four large slot-head screws
>     that hold the windshield assembly on a TR3? One came out extremely
>     reluctantly, and the rest want to have their slots ruined.
>     I have ground a big screwdriver such that it just fits the slots, but
>     they are so shallow that I can't get a good grip. Since the heads are
>     somewhat recessed, I can't cut the grooves deeper. I also can't see a
>     way to get at the back side in order to apply penetrating oil.
>     Is there perhaps a way to drill the heads off without wrecking the
>     frame? And if I did, would I be able to get the windshield off anyway?
>
>     TIA,
>     Jim (all screws have Robertson heads) Wallace
>     60 TR3 TS81417

Doug Mathews
Weekdays Voice: 706-542-6820 FAX: 706-542-6881
64TR4  TC38798L(in restoration)
63TR3B TCF1520L(Driver)
59TR3A TS6140L(Parts creature)
57TR3  TS18791LO(Parts creature)