Re: O/D conversion - Spit<Pine.PCW.3.94.970811112145.13735D-100000@Andre

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: O/D conversion - Spit<Pine.PCW.3.94.970811112145.13735D-100000@Andrew-Mace>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:40:16 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "Eric C. Rupert" <eric@rpm.com>, "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Afternoon,

>> I have a '66 MKII and am looking to add O/D to the current 4 speed to get
>into
>> the "sweet spot" at highway speeds...

Eh!!! What the hell's a 'Sweet pot'?  Is this some weird yankee term? :-)

>> Can I add an O/D unit from a MKIII or MKIV?  Is this a monumental task?  Are
>> they difficult (read expensive) to purchase?

>Monumental, no. Close, though! It's often as easy or easier to find a
>complete tranny with OD. With that, hopefully you'd get the correct rear
>frame mount, wiring, relays, switches, etc. -- all the little stuff you
>need to do it properly.

As Andy says, getting a complete OD would be easier, if you get the MkIV box
then this will have synchro on first.  If you can only get the OD, then I think
John Kipping may be able to supply the different main shaft for the gearbox,
don't forget though that you'll need the adaptor plate too, although this is
usually still stuck on the OD.  Don't forget though that late MkIV were fitted
with the J-type OD which has a different mainshaft I presume.

You could also fit the better J-type box from a Spitfire 1500, although you
will need the right chassis plate, and the friction plate from a 1300 Dolomite,
again Kipping in the UK can supply these.

>There is an ad at the VTR Web site <www.vtr.org> for a Mk.2 OD unit ONLY.
>With this and your transmission, you'd still need the longer mainshaft
>for your gearbox, and all the other stuff noted above.

Don't forget, if your an originality type person, then the switch will be on
the column and not the gear knob.

>Meanwhile, the OD units themselves are largely the same through the Mk.IV,
>right, gang?

See above about the j-type.

>Or you could install a complete OD transmission the way I once saw someone
>do it on a 1500 Spitfire: use a hunk of 2x4 for a rear mount and thick
>aluminum spacer blocks behind the engine mounts to push everything forward
>enough to fit the original driveshaft, etc. Not a top-flight piece of
>engineering, and most heartily NOT recommended!

Hmmm, i don't remember you looking in my car!!!  :-)

Cheerio

Rich

ps, what the hell is a Ford P.O.S(as in MiB) :-)