Re: TR3 Winshield removal

To: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Winshield removal
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:55:20 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Doug Mathews wrote:

> Assuming you still have the Dzu fasteners, and I've seen at least one TR3
> where they had removed them and used chrome bolts(UGLY!)...

> At 11:02 AM 8/11/97 -0400, Jim wrote:
> >Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
> >     Can someone suggest a way to remove those four large slot-head screws
> >     that hold the windshield assembly on a TR3?...
> >     Jim (all screws have Robertson heads) Wallace
> >     60 TR3 TS81417

Well, here's yet another classic case of the same car with two very
different setups. You're both right: the earlier cars used a "Dzus" type
fastener to hold the stanchions in place, but the later (post 60000?) cars
used a "bolt" with a slotted head. Those later ones are a pain to remove.

Perhaps (are you listening, Ray Gibbons, wherever you are?) you could use
a small cutoff wheel on a Dremel to carefully deepen the slot? Or, with
the same amount of caution, use successively larger bits to drill off the
head of the screw. Then, once the stanchions are out of the way, it might
be easier to deal with what's left.

--Andy