Re: GT6 headliner installation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 headliner installation
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 06:56:27 -0700
Karl T. writes:
>SOL'ers
>If anyone on this list has experience installing headliners in
>hardtop cars and can offer sage words of advice I would greatly
>appreciate hearing from you.
************************
Karl,
You may not want to hear from me :-).  I have done just about everything
you can do on /to a car, and some things you probably shouldn't.  When I
restored my GT6+ the headliner was in decent shape, but since I was doing a
frame up resto, I would have to replace the headliner so I "attempted" to
do it my self.  I used clothes pins (remember these, I do cause my mom used
'um <G>) lot's of clothes pins! and I stretched and pulled, etc.!!.  After
several afternoons I finish. It looks pretty good still after seven years,
but not perfect.  I can say I did it myself, but am not entirely happy with
the results.  It still has a few wrinkles that I couldn't get out.  And
after all that this is one job I would NEVER do again.  Just TOO d**n much
work.  Take it to a pro-shop IMHO.  On thing to make sure of if you still
want to do it yourself.  Make SURE you use the right adhesive for the
'bag-o-insulation' between the roof and the headliner.  Use only the really
strong stuff, you don’t want the bag coming loose after the headliner is in
place!
Good luck if you plan to do it yourself :-}

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )