Re: Silicone brake fluid

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicone brake fluid
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 09:37:03 PDT
Trevor Boicey wrote:
        >> Just dump the silicone fluid on top of the DOT and pull
        >> it, or bleed it, through the system.
        >
        >  I would not recommend this. Combine some of the fluids
        >in a glass jar to see why. The little "solids" that appear
        >are not what I want in my brake system.
        >
        >  As well, expect most of your rubber parts to require
        >replacement shortly after. A few decades of soaking in
        >DOT fluid followed by immersion in a DOT-free liquid
        >is not a pretty site.

Agreed.  I will go so far as to advise most strongly against using DOT 5
(silicone) fluid.  DOT 5 was developed with racing in mind, and as
such has a very high (> 560 degrees F) boiling point.  But race cars
change their brake fluids between events.  DOT 5 has a very nasty habit
of accumulating water, so within a couple of months, you will have
soggy brakes and will need to change the fluid.  There is an excellent
article by Ken Streeter at the VTR pages.

I have recently (8 months ago) started using DOT 5.1 made by Motul.
This is a non-silicone synthetic brake fluid that seems to have all
the pros of DOT 4 and 5, with non of the cons.  It does not emulsify,
yet the BP is around 520 dgreees.  It still eats paint unfortunately.
So far I have been most happy with it.  I used to boil DOT 3 regularly
in the Pantera (read fast and heavy), but not so with the 5.1.  When I
rebuild the master cylinder in Rags next month, I'll be swapping to
5.1.  5.1 is completely compatible with 3 and 4, but incompatible with
5 (Motuls words).

        Shane Ingate in San Diego