Re: TR6 Gearbox Problem

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Gearbox Problem
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:53:46 -0500
I had a problem like this for years with my 69 TR6, and I could usually
got it to work, first by slave cylinder rebuilds, next by moving the
operating rod to successively closer holes on the clutch operating arm,
and finally by shimming the slave cylinder forward.  I don't recommend
any of these: the problem, as I discovered one night when the blasted
thing finally broke, and ejected my slave piston and seals, was the
throwout fork.  It had split, and had apparently been splitting for
years.  If you replace the throwout fork, you might as well replace the
bushings, operating rod, and lock pin also, as you have to dismantle the
interior to get to some of the bellhousing bolts, and, as I recall, it
is pretty much an all-day affair to pull the transmission, fix it, and
put it back in.