Re: Spitfire clutch stuck disengaged

To: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire clutch stuck disengaged
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:25:51 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Charlie Brown wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Do you mean "disengaged" as in the engine turns but the wheels don't,
> with the clutch released?
>
> That sounds like a clutch pedal linkage problem (check the clevis pin
> and master cylinder fork at the top of the pedal), or a problem with the
> fulcrum pin in the bell housing...

> Something is physically binding, keeping the normal back pressure
> supplied by the clutch pressure plate from pushing the hydraulic fluid in
> a reverse direction.

Charlie, see if you agree with me here. One way to determine if it were
hydraulic or mechanical would be to carefully loosen the two bolts that
hold the bracket for the slave cylinder to the bellhousing (or perhaps
just the one bolt that holds the slave into its bracket). Either way, if
the slave cylinder "shoots" off towards the rear of the car, perhaps it or
the master did jam up somehow. If the clutch is still disengaged, your
problem is in there somewhere. It seems more likely to me that it is a
clutch or linkage problem as Charlie suggested.

--Andy