2500M compression test

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, tvr@domino.com
Subject: 2500M compression test
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:54:46 PST
Cc: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
I recently performed my first ever compression test on my car.  Readings first
came out at a fairly consistent level around 140-150 lbs/sq.in. except for
cylinder 5, which was low.  (I suspect at least a blown head gasket due to
sever overheating at one time and I intend to replace it soon.)  I then went to
a wet compression test, injecting 30 cc of oil into the cylinder through the
spark plug hole.  I was astounded as the compression readings almost doubled to
as high as 283 lbs/sq.in.  Based on this result, would anyone like to speculate
about what else I should consider doing when I remove the cylinder head, like
replace the piston rings?  And what ballpark figure should I expect if
everything were OK, anyway?

Richard Breedon
'74 TVR 2500M