Re: How to ground Spit steering column so horn works ?

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: How to ground Spit steering column so horn works ?
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 19:38:35 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe Whalley wrote:

> My horn switch does not work, and I find that the inner steering column is not
> grounded, so the horn switch does not provide a ground path for the relay. How
> is this inner column, which seems to be isolated with rubber bushings,
> supposed to provide the path? There must be a better way than just clamping a
> wire to it, which would eventually break from turning.
>
> Thanks - Joe
> 72 Spitfire

Hi Joe...

Yes, WIRE is what grounds the column when it splits at the rubber
couplings...  BUt the wire passes through the CENTER of the coupling...
and connects via round wire connectors on each end... which are then
connected through the bolts of coupling...on each side of the coupling.

In this way, the wire is protected and does not experience ANY sort of
tension, etc.

I replaced mine with fresh wire, new connectors, and all properly
soldered.

Justin