Crooked Body? Rear Springs?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crooked Body? Rear Springs?
From: TR66pack@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:09:31 -0400 (EDT)
Good morning listers,

Many thanks to those who responded to my questions on why my driver's side
tire sticks out beyond the wheel well more than my passenger side. I know a
few of you are following this thread as your cars exhibit the same
characteristics so I thought I'd condense what I've learned and bring this
chapter to a close for all concerned.

The following conclusion has been reached: Too little camber, or a slight
degree of positive camber on the driver's side, caused by one or all of the
following:
the TRF competition springs
swing arm bushings
rear alignment

Spring wise, TRF's comp springs are said to be too long. I have a reciept to
show that that's where mine came from and I agree. The back of the car is
definitely "jacked up".
Good Parts is said to have comp springs which are 1" too short but offers
spacers to "fix" this problem.
I've had two rather specific fix's recommended which I'll repost below for
everyone's benefit:

Roger B. recommends, for "fast' street use, new stock springs, Nylatron
bushings, poly diff mounts, and Apple HD levers with new shock links. Says
this will provide a crisp, but not jarring ride.

Tom Tweed advised new trailing arm bushings and stock springs, and then, if
needed, an alignment.

My car drives fine as it is now, I like the ride of the competion springs -
good, firm rear end - but the camber has to be fixed. Up here in Wisconsin we
get at least 4 months of weather induced downtime, which will be starting
soon enough, so I'll probably take on this issue shortly after the first
frozen rain falls from the low gray sky.

I'd like to hear from anyone with good or bad experiences with new springs.
What did you use, where did you buy them, etc. As I said earlier, I like the
ride of the TRF comps but not the ride height. I'm looking to have a stock
ride height when all is said and done. Any input on springs you've had that
have or haven't worked would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, whose going to the 6-Pack Trials in October? My wife and I have been
counting the days since we attended out first Trials last year. Great people,
great cars! Look for me there, I'll be the one in the Pimento TR6.

Kerry Fores
Editor
6-Pack