RE: Thrust Washers

To: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com.wgcinet>, "'Tom Gentry '" <TGENTR@bigbird>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Thrust Washers
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:08:00 -0500
Clark Nicholls wrote:
>>Having seen the results of really worn out thrust washers (that fell
out
>>into the pan) I'd have to again recommend putting the car in neutral
and
>>letting out the clutch.

My question would be "After how many miles?".  The engine probably
needed a rebuild anyway, at which time the new thrust washers can be
pinned.

>>If you're willing to throw your block and crank
>>away for the sake of using poor driving technique...

I would take issue with that being poor driving technique.  When in a
driving lane the car should be in full readiness to move.  Having saved
myself from a rear end collision by quickly pulling forward, I would
call shifting into neutral to be poor technique.  Come to think of it, I
could take issue with throwing away a block and crank since they are
only damaged if you abuse the car by driving it after the thrust washers
fall out.

>>Your clutch, hydraulics and throwout bearing will last longer also.

The throwout bearing I mentioned.  Since wear is related to friction, I
suspect the clutch hydraulics will fail sooner due to more cycles.  I'm
not sure I understand why you say the clutch will wear less, but I think
we're splitting hairs on all of this.

>>BTW I thought that the only time you were supposed to shift into 1st
(or
>>reverse) with a non-synchro transmission was after coming to a stop.
So
>>where does the 1st gear synchro get worn using my suggestion?

Assuming you have a first gear synchro, with the trans in neutral and
clutch out the input shaft is spinning at crank speed, output shaft is
stopped.  When you depress the clutch and shift into first it's the
first gear synchro that stops the input shaft (since the ouput shaft is
stopped).  Unless you take a couple seconds between clutching and
shifting into first to let the input shaft stop on it's own.  BTW, you
can prove this to yourself by trying it with your non-syncro reverse
gear and listening to the gears grind.

Having said all that, I think that this is a rather silly thread, and I
shall have to be put in the comfy chair now.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!