Re: Thrust Washers

To: Bollen <stu.jo@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:51:42 -0700
Cc: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>, "John G. Sullivan" <sullij@worldnet.att.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bollen wrote:

> >     John> I hate to admit it; however, I let the clutch out at
> >     John> lights because my left knee thrust washer is bad.
> >
> > Ditto.
> >
> >     John> John Sullivan
> >     John> Older than a TR2
> >
> > Just as old as my TR-4.
> >                                                 -MM
>
> Ditto, older than my TR6 and TR8 added together then some. Incidentally,
> when I took my driving test in the UK, you had to put the car in neutral
> and apply the handbrake at a red light or fail the test.

Absolutely right,

When I took my test for a Military licence in the Navy at Treasure Island
I had to drive a bobtail truck through downtown San Francisco. At the
lgiht at the peak of Nob Hill facing the sky I had to put the trans in
neutral let out the clutch and hold the brake. When the light changed I
found out for the first time just how quickly one could get left foot off
brake, on clutch, trans in gear clutch out and gas depressed when faced
with the very real possibility of rolling back into the bay in a
backward advance to the rear. Further I'd rather deal with a hydraulic
overhaul anyday than have to pull out an interior and trans to replace an
overused throwout bearing when the rest of the clutch components were
perfectly serviceable as I used to find myself doing due to my youthful,
foot on the clutch, trans in first, need to get off the line at every
light before anyone else. I don't know where others learned "PROPER"
driving but having driven trucks, busses and heavy equipment in my day
all the training I ever had said foot off the clutch trans in neutral at
stops.

Dean