Re: Thrust Washers

To: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:03:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Nathanson wrote:

> Carol,
>
>         How did the thrust washer installation go? Did you or your
>         mechanic get them in via the oil pan? I spoke to Dave at TRF(he's
>         the technical consultant) and he seemed to very knowledgable about
>         thrust washers. He told me about the history of those suckers, etc.
>         But this main thrust (no pun intended) was that he highly reccommends
>         NOT to do this job via the oil pan. He said something to the effect,
> "Even
>         if it could be done, why replace one item when ten items need to be
> replaced?"
>
>         If the play is 0.250" or more, then you have real problem. But if
>you're
>         in specification (i.e. less than 0.010"), why bother. If you're doing
>         the entire engine, then replace.
>
>         Well, just curious how your journey(thrust washer) ended? Any horror
>         stories?
>
>                 Jeff N.

Jeff, and fellow listers:

        I ordered, per specs & input, all the oversized thrust washers
from Moss --they arrived last Saturday.  Opinons vary as to whether it
is *best* to do this job via the oil pan; I've concluded it is my best
option at this time, as there is not an engine rebuild in the budget.
My mechanic, unfortunately, had mentioned that I could do it as his
garage, so that I had someone with greater experience immediately
available should trouble arise.  He now will be in Sebring, and I will
be on my back in the garage, attempting this myself.

        The play is more than .010 and less than .250, about the width
of a toenail, rather than a fingernail.  I'm hoping I get her up on
jackstands and find something other than thrust washers as the problem,
but that may be delusional at this time.

        I will be checking with local TR club members, for help,
availability, etc.   I figure, tho, what the heck: I can't make it any
worse than it is, and if I can push back an engine rebuild a year or so,
that's great.

        Any input welcome, as always !

Carol Zingone
74 TR6 -- Sybill The Bitch