Re: Which side?

To: Dan McNamara <mcnamara@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: Which side?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:16:34 -0800
Cc: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Dan McNamara wrote:

> Hello all,
> Need an answer to a question.  Why do the people in England (and related
> countries) drive on the left side of the road and the U.S. drive on the
> right?  Wouldn't it have made more sense for car manufacturers to
> standardize world wide?  Know this sounds trivial, but I cannot think of a
> single reason.  Thanks
> Dan McNamara
> Bowling Green, Ohio
> mcnamara@wcnet.org
> "95 Miata"
> "62 TR4"
> "86 SAAB 900S"

Let me see,  It seems like sometime in the '60's maybe the 70's when
Japan broke down and converted to driving on the right side of the
street.  THat's "right" as opposed to "left", not "right" as opposed to
"wrong".  Although som might argue the latter.  Anyway it caused traffic
tie-ups and accidents for a great long time before the people got used
to the change.

Anybody who has ever driven in England after having learned to drive in
the US, can appreciate how awkward it is to get used to.  And the
inverse is also true.  Since practicaly all the rest of the world is
driving on the right now, it would be up to the Brits to initiate the
change.

For a country that still has a monarchy, that's a large change to make.

Joe Curry     '63 Spit (right-hand drive, but woefully still no doors)