Re: Which side?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Which side?
From: "Peter Gillis" <pgillis@cosmedia.ie>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:25:20 -0000
Joe Curry wrote

> Let me see,  It seems like sometime in the '60's maybe the 70's when
> Japan broke down and converted to driving on the right side of the
> street.  THat's "right" as opposed to "left", not "right" as opposed to
> "wrong".  Although som might argue the latter.  Anyway it caused traffic
> tie-ups and accidents for a great long time before the people got used
> to the change.
>
> Anybody who has ever driven in England after having learned to drive in
> the US, can appreciate how awkward it is to get used to.  And the
> inverse is also true.  Since practicaly all the rest of the world is
> driving on the right now, it would be up to the Brits to initiate the
> change.
>
> For a country that still has a monarchy, that's a large change to make.
>
> Joe Curry     '63 Spit (right-hand drive, but woefully still no doors)
>
> Joe, its not just England who would have to change it does affect us here

in the good old republic of Ireland (not a monarch in site, only an ageing
eurovision contestant).Malta, Australia, and maybe I'm wrong but I thought
they still drive on the on the left in Japan.
By the way my first experience of driving on the opposite side of the road
was taking a
VW golf around the GRA in Rome and on through the city, with that
experience under my belt
I am going for the Paris-Dakar in my 2000 next

Cheers
Pete Gillis
63 TR4
69 2000 Mk1(just restored in TR18 (gunmetal) and looking like the dog's
*%££%"