tr6 radiator duct

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 radiator duct
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:36:34 -0700
The TR6 came with a one piece radiator cowling (or duct) which is made
of a black cardboard like material. I guess this material tends to go
bad with repeated wet/dry cycles and probably rots away eventually.
Although mine is not at this stage, it is kinda dirty and I really would
like to replace it.

I notice that VB has a replacement duct listed made of ABS and costing
$65 US. This seems like a lot to pay so I am hoping to make my own. Not
knowing anything about plastic fabrication I am looking for some hints
on how to proceed.

Specifically, I think that the "hinging" properties of the original
paper duct should be retained to maintain the ability to remove the duct
if required and to fine tune the final fit. Any ideas on how plastics
can be hinged? I suspect I will be able to use a door hinge of some sort
but perhaps there is a better solution? I suspect that "creasing" the
plastic like the paper was creased would not produce the desired hinging
effect but rather probably weaken the plastic.

Also I assume that ABS in 1/8" would be a good choice for this
application?

Looking forward to any help from plastics experts...

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada