Re: TR3 head removal

To: "Adrio Taucer" <adrio@capitalnet.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR3 head removal
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 16:09:54 -0600
I have a little experience with pulling TR3 heads.  I finally solved my
head gasket crisis with a new block. The double nut trick works great,
but on some studs, there is hardly any room for 2 nuts. A half height
bottom nut is helpful, but I found the ideal solution.  I bought a stud
puller from the MAC tools guy.  It's a threaded collar and locking
socket type sleeve. The collar threads down on the stud and then you
lock it with the sleeve. The only drawback is the $40 cost, but it will
make the studs last longer by cutting back PO abuse (present owner).

I personally doubt that the "rope trick" would disturb crusted in place
figure 8 gaskets and liners. The liners are usually in there like they
were welded in once rust takes over. If you want to try it, squirt some
oil in to lube the rings first and then have a go at it. If you do mess
up the liner/gasket surface, you can follow the advice elsewhere to use
new gaskets (I agree), but you'll need to clean the water jackets.
This means protecting the journals while you remove "lot's-O-crud".  I
found that I could use a popularly available paint stripper
nylon/carbide wheel to clean up the figure 8 mating surface. They are
about 3/4" thick by almost 4" and sold in the paint sections of Home
Depot et al. They shed their grit, so the aforementioned protection is
critical.  I've only used them on a bare block.

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net