Re: TR4, early commission #, radiator

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4, early commission #, radiator
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:19:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Alan Myers wrote:

> I was curious how close the commission number and chassis # on my own
> car were, after hearing about yours. Commission #CT17602L, chassis
> #17768. So based on the chassis # I'd guess your car was one of the
> first. It might be worth getting one of those build certificates if you
> can track from the chassis #, that might give you the correct commission
> #. At some point you might get the numbers off the gearbox and the rear
> axle, too.
>
> I wonder, does anyone out there have or know of a lower commission #
> than Brad's appears to be?

Don't confuse "body number" with "chassis number".  If I remember
correctly, what Brad quoted was from the body number plate. That's the
serial number of the body shell, and has no realationship to the
commission number or to a "chassis number".  FWIW here are the numbers
from my TR4:

Commission Number:   CT3154 OL
Body Number:         1845CT
Engine:              CT3479E
Gearbox:             CT15253 (Replacement from a later TR4)
Rear Axle:           CT3552

Note that the Commission, Engine, and Rear Axle numbers are reasonably
close, but the body number is much lower. That's not unusual, because the
bodies were manufactured elsewhere, shipped to the assembly plant, and
dropped onto completed chassis in no particular order.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net