Manchester British car gathering

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, anthony rondeau <rondeau@neca.com>, paul@hobbytyme.com, 75452.105@compuserve.com, thefryes@iconn.net, sweisman@gis.net
Subject: Manchester British car gathering
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:56:26 GMT
Ah!

Just got back from the CTR show in Wickham park.  Like last year, it
was super!

Scions in attendance included Paul Arildsen, Sumner Weisman, Michael
Ferguson, Keith Ehrlich, Bob Wanta and Henry Frye.  I wanted to get
these names in before I forgot somebody like I did at the MOT show
earlier this year.  <Hi Tom Walling! :-)>  Actually, I'm sure there
were more listers there who I just never caught up with.

Keith had me laughing for twenty minutes or more as he related his
"horror story" front end rebuild finished only minutes before
showtime.  Then he tried to "jump class" and get his car entered in
modified where the competition was minimal.  He purposely painted his
front suspension twenty different colors and his rollbar bright yellow
to confuse the judges....what a sneak!  :-)

Sumner took an honorable mention with his "driver" TR3.  He had a sign
under the bonnet saying to effect "I may be ugly but I run just
great!"  The car looked pretty darn nice to me but hey, what do I
know?  I drive a Spitfire!   :-)

Paul Arildsen had his new "Wanta powered" MkIV there and he seemed
real pleased....Duel S.U.s, hot cam...I was jealous!

Bob...he had TWO cars....his neat '70 <'71?>  red E-Type and his white
'75 <'76?> Spit?  A post show interview confirms what we knew all
along guys...he *prefers* driving the Spit!  <and so does his little
dachshund>  :-)

And Henry?  Well what can I say?  Here's a guy after my own heart.
Despite having an inventory of perhaps twenty or thirty concours
Triumphs <all stolen>, he brings a TESTOR ORANGE TR3 will holes in the
sill big enough for me to put my hand through!  Watta guy!  Now I
don't feel so bad about covering my front bumper last night with
chrome tape.   BTW....I learned this trick from Richard Jackson.  :-)

Ohhh....almost forgot meeting Michael Ferguson.  Hope I've got your
name right Michael.  Michael *has* no car to poke fun at...not yet
anyway.  But he tried to buy a black concours winning TR3A from the
owner for $5000 cash.  He he....this guy musta' had more than 5k
invested in the boot accessories.  Talk about a neat picnic basket!
:-)

One again the only O'Malley awards were in the coloring contest...my
youngest daughter took a solid second place in the 6 year old class.
Competition was fierce but she brought home the spooky stickers.
I may contract her to paint my car next year as she seems to be much
better at "staying in the lines" than I am.  :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits