Re: Manchester British car gathering

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: Manchester British car gathering
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:55:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom O'Malley wrote:

> Ah!
>
> Just got back from the CTR show in Wickham park.  Like last year, it
> was super!
>
> Scions in attendance included Paul Arildsen, Sumner Weisman, Michael
> Ferguson, Keith Ehrlich, Bob Wanta and Henry Frye.  I wanted to get
> these names in before I forgot somebody like I did at the MOT show
> earlier this year.  <Hi Tom Walling! :-)>  Actually, I'm sure there
> were more listers there who I just never caught up with.

Don't forget Bob Danielson. It was good to see  those Triumph list
window stickers on the field. Thank you, Thank you Joe Curry. Now let's
see all those late payers make good on Joe's hard work! (You know who
you are)

> Keith had me laughing for twenty minutes or more as he related his
> "horror story" front end rebuild finished only minutes before
> showtime.  Then he tried to "jump class" and get his car entered in
> modified where the competition was minimal.  He purposely painted his
> front suspension twenty different colors and his rollbar bright yellow
> to confuse the judges....what a sneak!  :-)

Not true, not true. When I got to the field, the  greeting party told me
to put my car in with the pre-74's.  I told them mine was just a
gentically altered '74 with the boobs off and that I wanted to park with
all my pals in the "modern" TR6 group. This anal retentive then tells me
that the missing boobs and the Monza exhaust system constituted a
modified TR6 and banished me to the far corner of the field.  ( I think
they needed something to show in the class) Then the guy with the
supercharged/blown TR6 shows up along with another with the triple
Webers and magnets(?) on the big stainless fuel lines. My boobless TR6
with the "original condition" engine just couldn't stand up to these
beasts-no prize for Trusty the Streak.. Oh well. ;-)

> Sumner took an honorable mention with his "driver" TR3.  He had a sign
> under the bonnet saying to effect "I may be ugly but I run just
> great!"  The car looked pretty darn nice to me but hey, what do I
> know?  I drive a Spitfire!   :-)

They thought the sign was for him, not the car. By the time the
confusion was cleared up ( he's not that ugly, really ;-)), the award
was already his! Nice car Sumner-it was great to meet you and your wife.

> Paul Arildsen had his new "Wanta powered" MkIV there and he seemed
> real pleased....Duel S.U.s, hot cam...I was jealous!
>
> Bob...he had TWO cars....his neat '70 <'71?>  red E-Type and his white
> '75 <'76?> Spit?  A post show interview confirms what we knew all
> along guys...he *prefers* driving the Spit!  <and so does his little
> dachshund>  :-)
>
> And Henry?  Well what can I say?  Here's a guy after my own heart.
> Despite having an inventory of perhaps twenty or thirty concours
> Triumphs <all stolen>, he brings a TESTOR ORANGE TR3 will holes in the
> sill big enough for me to put my hand through!

Yeah, and the welded up the fended beads in the rear as well. How come
they didn't put HIM in modified?

 Watta guy!  Now I
> don't feel so bad about covering my front bumper last night with
> chrome tape.

Hey, I wouldn't have noticed except for you saying something. Say, isn't
that "modified as well? BTW, nice job on the welding, seriously. I wish
I could do something new as well on the first try.

BTW....I learned this trick from Richard Jackson.  :-)

> Ohhh....almost forgot meeting Michael Ferguson.  Hope I've got your
> name right Michael.  Michael *has* no car to poke fun at...not yet
> anyway.  But he tried to buy a black concours winning TR3A from the
> owner for $5000 cash.  He he....this guy musta' had more than 5k
> invested in the boot accessories.  Talk about a neat picnic basket!

C'mon Mike, time to buy a car. Pull the trigger. If anyone has a TR4 for
Mike, please put him out of his misery. He's got the wire wheels, ( he
even brought one to the show but didn't enter it) just need a car to put
on them. ;-)
> :-)
>
> One again the only O'Malley awards were in the coloring contest...my
> youngest daughter took a solid second place in the 6 year old class.
> Competition was fierce but she brought home the spooky stickers.
> I may contract her to paint my car next year as she seems to be much
> better at "staying in the lines" than I am.  :-)

Nice family Tom. It was great to see you and them again, along with the
rest of the listers.

> Cheers!
> Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
> '74, '77 Spits

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6 modified (no bumper overriders)