Re: Spit-6

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Spit-6
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:36:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
>The Question: Has anyone ever converted a GT6+ tub into a Spitfire? I
>actually have free access to a MKII Spit body rear-end, so I figure
>I've got the pieces.
Yes, you would have all the pieces, but it would be a major amount of work.
 The entire hood/roof and supporting structure would have to be removed.
Then the rear cockpit surround, and supporting structure, including the gas
tank mounting would have to be removed from the donor and welded in place.
then the little side pieces and trunk supports would have to be removed
from the donor and welded into place.  Chances are the rear valance will
also have to be replaced as you have a large hole where the filler was on
the GT that won't be used because of the relocated gas tank.  You would
also have to replace the windshield frame, or add the cap to the GT one if
it has the mounting for the folding top, but that's an easy mod compared to
all the other work.  It could be achieved, but as I said, it would be a
major undertaking-  MUCH simpler to switch tubs and bonnets, and make the
few little mods to the tub that are required-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire