RE: Spit-6

To: "'john donohoe'" <gt6driver@yahoo.com>, Gambony@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU, Jim <jim.gambony@eds.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spit-6
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 98 10:05:14 -0600
Triumph World magazine had an article on a spit 6 a couple of months ago. A
chap in the UK put a TR6 engine into a Spitfire. Since the TR6 2.5 is
essentially a stroked 2.0 from the Vitesse sports six and the GT6, and all
of the Herald derivatives (Vitesse, Spitfire, GT6 etc...) share the same
frame. It was a fairly easy swap. Since the TR6 engine used produced in
excess of 150hp (euro spec PI engine or Triple Weber conversion). The frame
did recieve some strengthening. The differential was swapped for a stronger
one (I don't quite remember which one), and the bonnet from a GT6 was used
(you need the bulge for the extra motor length). In the end, he had a
wickedly fast Spitfire. If anyone would like a photocopy of the article.
E-mail me off the list.

Shawn Loseke
-------------
Original Text
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>, on 9/16/98 9:32 AM:
John,

I'd imagine it'd be simpler and cheaper in the long run to find a good Spit
body.  If you want a round tail car I know of several here in Texas that
wouldn't be toooooo expensive...

If you go with a Mk IV/1500 body, I have a neat hardtop that'll make you
think of your GT6 everytime you see it... it's a GT6 Mk I roof welded onto
1500 trunk lid.  Sounds strange.. but from 10 feet away the Spit really
does
look like a GT6.   "Fool your friends... hear them gasp in amazement as you
unbolt the roof of your GT6 Mk III"  I can hear it now....

Anyway, back to reality.  Like I said, you'd have to cut/weld the back half
of the Spit onto the GT6 front... alignment will be critical.

Jim