Carb damper oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carb damper oil
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:06:09 EDT
Workshop Manual  2nd Edition.  Issued by the Service Division, Standard -
Triumph Sales Ltd.  Coventry, England.  I can't find a date but since it has
the TR4A supplement incorporated into it - I would imagine it was printed
after 1965.

It says on page 1-303. (This is for SU's.)

"... and replenish the dashpots with thin engine oil, grade SAE 20 (but no
thicker than SAE 30)..."    AND

on p.1-307 (for Zenith Strombergs) it says:

" The rod is filled with SAE20 oil to within a 1/4" of the end of the rod in
which the damper operates..."

That's it.  I have followed this for 34 years and have encountered no problems
such as those discussed on the list.  What more can I say?

BTW - Methinks we make too big a deal about this.  Since the purpose is to
dampen (that's why it is called a "damper") --- the viscosity of the fluid
will affect the dampening action.  The designers built the carbs to operate
with the viscosity named above.  As always - do as you like but I'd have to
see some solid evidence regarding peformance to change to some other
viscosity.   Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)